Barnwell is a picturesque village in East Northants situated alongside the A605 2½ miles south of Oundle, with a population of about 400. Some of the dwellings date from the 1600’s, typically stone thatched cottages spread out along either side of a small brook. At one time it was chiefly an agricultural settlement but with recent building has become more of a commuter village.
Among the most interesting buildings are the Castle 1266 and Manor House 1585, until 1994 the residence of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. Others include the old school building and the Latham’s Cottages.
The village is served by a post office and general stores, and the Montagu Arms serving local ales, midday and evening meals. There are also B&B places nearby and a well equipped village hall.
St. Andrew’s Church, Barnwell
The present building is essentially a model ‘Early English’ design Grade 1 listed building. The first record of an incumbent is William de Kirkham 1248, under whose auspices the present building was commenced around 1255, being completed at the tower end around 1260. A thorough repair was carried out between 1740 and 1756, and two more recent restorations took place in 1851 and 1873 creating the church of today.
Examples of the oldest work can still be seen in the Chancel arch, the arcades, the south porch and entrance, and the tower. The windows are also notable, the East window being designed by the architect Sir George Gilbert Scott 1851.
Although the Church is usually kept locked you are able to visit at any time: the key is available from the Post Office. There is a car park to the north side, a toilet accessible to the disabled, and facilities for serving coffee and refreshments. It is possible to arrange for groups to have guided tours of the church, with refreshments if required, for a small charge.
There is a small Church Choir which rehearses on Tuesday evenings and leads the service every Sunday morning at 11am.
All Saints Chancel, Barnwell
Until 1821 Barnwell was two parishes, St. Andrew and All Saints. Today All Saints Chancel is all that remains of All Saints Church. The Church itself was an early 13th century building, standing
until 1821, when owing to its advanced state of decay the then patron, Elizabeth, Dowager Duchess of Buccleuch petitioned for its demolition and subsequent incorporation of its living into that with Barnwell St Andrew. An Act of Parliament authorising this was passed in 1821 and the main part of the building was pulled down, leaving the Chancel,principally because of the various monuments and the vault of the Montagues. It is now a Chapel of Ease with monthly evening services at 6.00pm during the summer.
Services at St. Andrew’s - see Services
You are welcome to come and join us at any of our services. Coffee and biscuits are served in Church after each service – please stay and meet everyone.