Welcome to the Church of St Mary and All Saints, Nassington
The Parish of Nassington is part of the Watersmete Benefice consisting of the villages of Apethorpe, Nassington, Thornhaugh, Wansford, Woodnewton and Yarwell. Rev Jane Tailby is the Vicar of the Benefice. She was instituted by the Bishop of Brixworth in St Mary the Virgin & All Saints Nassington on Saturday 24 September 2016. If you wish to contact Jane, she can be contacted at the Vicarage at 34 Station Road in Nassington, or by phone 01780 782271. Friday is her day off.
Services are held at 9.30am each Sunday. On the 4th Sunday the singing is led by a choir and the Sunday School meets in the Patston Room. We welcome weddings and baptisms being held in the church. If you would like to arrange a funeral or wedding, please contact Rev Jane Tailby, see contact page. If you would like to arrange baptism, please contact Jan Downey. Alternatively, please contact one of the Churchwardens - Dec Downey or Hilary Hardie.
The Church is the focal point of village and, as it is the largest space, is used for a number of village activities, eg school plays, Yarwell and Nassington Britannia Band concerts, Music in Quiet Places. A number of activities are linked to the church, such as a weekly Little Friends group that meets each Monday at 2pm for play and a chat; a weekly bell ringing practice at 7.30pm each Monday, and a montly Christian fellowship meeting, hosted either in Church or in someone’s home, starting with supper followed by a presentation or talk.
The population is about 850 (2011 census, 827) and there is a mix of older and new properties, built as the village has expanded. Within the village there is a Post Office/General Store and a Butchers shop, which makes the best sausages for miles around, and has been in the same family for 3 generations. In addition, there is a Hair Salon. There are 2 pubs; one, The Black Horse is a traditional pub, and the other, The Queen's Head, has a two rosette restaurant and is available for weddings.
The Primary School, whilst not a Church School, has strong links with the church. The Pre-School operates out of a purpose built premises and offers 5 morning & 3 afternoon sessions week for children from age 2 until they begin school.
The Grade I listed Prebendal Manor House is the earliest surviving dwelling in Northamptonshire. It forms the focus of a group of stone buildings, which includes a 16th century dovecote, a large 18th century tithe barn and a 15th century lodgings building. The Manor and Tithe Barn are open on Sunday afternoons from May to September each year.
There are a large number of flourishing clubs and societies. For example, the Ladies Group meets regularly and raises funds for local charities and the Cricket Club manages the playing field, with their own pavilion, and provides coaching for young people. There is a village hall, which hosts a variety of activities.
The Church of St Mary and All Saints, Nassington, is the largest in the benefice. The earliest parts of the fabric belong to the Anglo-Saxon period and include the West wall of the nave and the West tower. It has been suggested that the Saxon nave may have been the same size as the present nave on the evidence of proportion, but the east, north and south wall are probably of different dates, being architecturally unrelated.
In the late 12th century the exterior of the tower was encased, hence the greater thickness of the tower’s E, N and S walls. Also a wide arch was inserted in the east wall of the tower and a large window in the west wall. This window was replaced by a doorway in the early 13th century.
The chancel arch, the north and south arcades and the south aisle were rebuilt in the early 14th century. The chancel was entirely rebuilt in the 15th century and the vestry of this date has been removed. Also of the 15th century are the nave clerestory, the octagonal belfry stage and the spire. The spire was rebuilt in 1640.
The church was restored in 1885, but the ancient fabric was generally respected. It is evident from Saxon times that the church building was of considerable size. The quality of the 13th century north aisle and the 15th century upper stage of the tower also demonstrate the continuing importance of the church throughout the medieval period. The lower part of a Saxon cross survives. There are extensive areas of medieval wall paintings. The organ came with the 1885 restoration, but the money ran out before they could order a decent case for it.
In 2000, the kitchen and toilet were put into the north chamber next to the tower and the Patston Room created out of the south chamber.
In 2013, problems with the Chancel roof were identified and in 2014, this roof was replaced, at a cost of £45,268, including VAT and Architect’s fees, funded due to the generosity of a number of bodies who have approved grants towards the cost of the works. The main grant came from Augean Plc through its “Augean Community Fund”, following recommendations from Thornhaugh Environmental Association (TEA) and King’s Cliffe Environmental Association (KCEA). Other grants were made by the Northamptonshire Historic Churches Trust and the National Historic Churches Trust. Unfortunately, some of the lead was stolen shortly after it was replaced. Thanks to the LPOW Roof Repair Fund, we have replaced it with Terne coated stainless steel and installed a roof alarm.
The bells at Nassington Church have been rung since 1552, and it has now a ring of 6 bells. The bells are rung for most Sunday services and the practice night is every Monday at 7.30pm.
The bell frame is a composite structure incorporating cast iron and the Quinquennial inspection in 2012 identified that it was corroding and needed replacement in the medium term, ie in 2 to 3 years. Accordingly, a major project was developed to replace the frame, add a new bell and recast or retune the existing bells, at a cost of £70,000.
The Nassington Church Bells Restoration Project was completed in 2017 and has been supported by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Thanks to National Lottery players, we have been able to restore the bell frame, retune or recast the existing bells, add an additional bell and improve the access, and involved the community and the school as the project progressed. Please see the detail on the bells and bell ringing pages.